Defamation in Thailand 泰國誹謗罪
Defamation in Thailand involves civil and criminal actions. Following is introduction of defamation under these two codes:
1. Section 423 of the Civil and Commercial Code, a person who, contrary to the truth, asserts or circulates as a fact that which injurious to the reputation or the credit of another or his earnings or prosperity in any other manner, shall compensate the other for any damage arising therefrom, even if he does not know of its untruth, provided he ought to know it.
2. Section 424 of the Civil and Commercial Code, the Court, when given judgment as to the liability for wrongful act and the amount of compensation, shall not be bound by the provisions of the criminal law concerning liability to punishment or by the conviction or non-conviction of the wrongdoer for a criminal offence.
3. Section 448 of the Civil and Commercial Code, the claim for damages arising from wrongful act is barred by prescription after one year from the day when the wrongful act and the person bound to make compensation became known to the injured person, or ten years from the day when the wrongful act was committed.
Criminal Law 刑法
1. Section 326 of the Criminal Code, whoever, imputes anything to the other person before a third person in a manner likely to impair the reputation of such other person or to expose such other person to be hated or scorned, is said to commit defamation, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year or fined not exceeding twenty thousand Baht, or both.
2. Section 328 of the Criminal Code, if the offence of defamation be committed by means of publication of a document, drawing, painting, cinematography film, picture or letters made visible by any means, gramophone record or another recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years and fined not exceeding two hundred thousand Baht.
3. Section 330 of the Criminal Code, in case of defamation, if the person prosecuted for defamation can prove that the imputation made by him is true, he shall not be punished. But he shall not be allowed to prove if such imputation concerns personal matters, and such proof will not be benefit to the public.
If you think you are defamed or you are suffering from defamation, please do not hesitate to contact us with relevant evidence.
IBC Firm is formed by highly talented and progressive lawyers, financial advisors and accountants. Our partners were all graduated from well-known universities in Thailand, the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia and Japan. Our alliance firms include firms in Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, America, Australia, France and South Africa, majoring in law, finance, investment, taxation and accounting, fluent in Chinese, Thai, English and Japanese. Our lawyer is also the legal advisor from Taipei Economic and Culture Office in Thailand (“TECO”).
#IBC法律金融會計事務所 #泰國事務所 #泰國律師 #泰國法律事務所 #泰國中文律師 #泰國會計 #泰國會計事務所 #泰國審計 #IBCFirm #Thailaw #Thailawfirm #ThaiAccountingFirm #ThaiAuditFirm #泰國誹謗 #泰國民商法典 #泰國刑法 #泰國誹謗罪 #defamationinthailand #civilandcommercialcode #criminalcode #defamationcrimeinthailand